Become a Fan

Sign up for our newsletter

Twitter Feed

• Could not connect to Twitter

Planting, Maintenance, Prevention: October

This blog is the second of a four-part series on Planting, Maintenance, and Prevention tips for the months of September, October, November and December. We’ve compiled the information from a two different articles, both written by Kathy Tomas-Rico, Solano County Master Gardener, in the newsletter, Seeds for Thought. Click here to see the original article and stay tuned for the rest of the post for this series!

PLANTING

Continue to set out edible seedlings, like onions or garlic for next year’s harvest. Sow annual seeds, like wildflowers, in a sunny spot for the best show in spring.

Sweet Pea

If you’re interested in ornamental varieties, plant anything that is not frost-sensitive, including sweet peas, ground covers, shrubs, trees, vines, perennials and natives.

MAINTENANCE

Keep control of slugs and snails with bait containing iron phosphate, which is safer on edible crops and around children, pets and wildlife. Don’t forget about your lawn! October is the time to dethatch, aerate and fertilize your grass.

Veggie Bed

For vegetable beds, double-dig them by loosing the soil to a depth of 24 inches and adding compost.

PREVENTION

If the rain has begun, check for areas of standing water because this is where mosquitoes will hang out. If no rain yet, continue to irrigate.

Lemon Tree

Keep tidying to reduce the debris that harbors insects and disease over winter. Apply copper or other recommended controls if you see brown rot or citrus blast on your citrus trees.

Share

3 Responses to “Planting, Maintenance, Prevention: October”

1. Thank you for this valuable information. Prevention is
    probably my biggest concern.

2. This series has been very useful for me. I moved to AZ from the east coast this spring and I’ve got to learn how to garden all over again. I’m delighted that I’ll be able to garden much of the fall and winter. I even have a lemon tree here!

3. Eagle says:

Some of these pictures makes you feel like you are there, about to pick the fruit! Love em!