We are harvesting!
On Wednesday, September 7th from 10am to 1pm we are inviting any and all to come and harvest fresh basil from our garden. The basil varieties ready for harvest are fino verde, red Rubin, and super sweet chen.
We suggest that all harvestors bring:
- Pair of scissors
- Wet paper towel (to wrap the ends of the basil with)
And our gardener, Pat, will be at the garden to answer any of your questions! We can’t wait to see you there!
Try some of these pesto recipes:
Spicy Jalapeno Pesto (from Giada De Laurentiis, Click here to see her original recipe)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 (2 inch long) red or green jalapeno pepper, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups Asiago cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- 3 ounces arugula
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Directions: In a food processor, combine the walnuts, garlic, jalapeno, cheese, salt and pepper. Process until the mixture is smooth. Add the spinach and arugula and process until blended. With the machine running, gradually add the olive oil.
Fresh Basil Pesto (from SimpleRecipes.com, Click here to see the original recipe)
Yields 1 cup
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions: Combine basil with pine or walnuts and pulse a few times in a food processor. Add garlic and pulse a few more times. Slowly add the olive oil in a stream with the food processor running. Add grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
If you try either of these recipes, let us know how they turned out!!